Just 50 questions! lol
I love talking about myself as much as the next person but I always find the ‘All About Me’ section to be so contrived because you’re trying to limit it down so you don’t sound narcissistic but the answers are so textbook boring.
So here’s my alternative. Feel free to steal the questions, I did.
1. What are your nicknames? What do you prefer to be called?
My parents call me: Kooks, Kgowa, Granny (all after my great-grandmother on my dad’s side, whom I’m named after) My husband calls me Nix. My sisters call me Middle.
2. What books on your shelf are begging to be read?
Kind Leopold’s Ghost and Lies Couples Believe
3. How often do you doodle? What do your doodles look like?
Not a doodler, but I do like adult coloring books. I hope to frame some of my favorites and put them in a future kids bedroom.
4. What do you do if you can’t sleep at night? Do you count sheep? Toss and Turn? Try to get up and do something productive?
Force myself to go back to sleep. I am not a morning person and do not do well on limited hours of sleep, so if I wake up I try to go back to sleep asap.
5. How many days could you last in solitary confinement? How would you do it?
I think I’d be alright since i prefer to be alone. I’d read, write, daydream and sleep. But I would probably last 14 days before i’d become homicidal
6. Do you save old greeting cards and letters? Throw them away?
I save. I learned that from my mother. I love nostalgic memories.
7. Who is the biggest pack rat you know?
My mother. She has old VHS tapes of tv recorded shows from the 80’s, clothes, magazines and newspapers that she SWEARS she’s going to ‘sort’. She’s been saying that since the 80’s.
8. When making an entrance in to a party, do you make your presence known? Do you slip in and look for someone you know? Do you sneak in quietly and find a safe spot to roost?
If i even go to a party, I slip in and look for someone I know. I hate crowds.
9. What is your strongest sense? If you had to give one up, which would it be?
Smell. I can smell from a mile away. I’m a basset hound which sometimes comes in handy and sometimes doesn’t! I’d give up smell.
10. How many times a day do you look at yourself in the mirror?
Often enough. Mostly to make sure there isn’t food in my teeth or on my face.
11. What is the strangest thing you believed as a child?
Bloody Mary. If you say her name 3x in a mirror in a dark bathroom she’ll appear and you’d be haunted. Someone at school told me about and till that day at about 11/12 I couldn’t sleep alone in the dark, so I either slept with my younger sister with whom we had adjoining rooms connect through a bathroom, or I slept with that sliding door to that bathroom open and the light in the bathroom on. I only got over it once I went to college at 17.
12. What is one guilty pleasure you enjoy too much to give up?
Haute Cabriere Pinot Noir/Chardonnay Wine! And Camembert cheese with crackers!
13. Who performs the most random acts of kindness out of everyone you know?
My mom. She is the most selfless person I know and is always thinking of the little things.
14. How often do you read the newspaper? Which paper? Which sections?
rarely, none and none. I get all my current events from Instagram. So WORLDSTAR! lol
15. Which animals scare you most? Why?
Lions/Cheetahs/Tigers. I mean if faced with one I’d just surrender my whole dignity to them because who’s going to outrun that?
16. Are you more likely to avoid conflict or engage it head-on?
insert boxing ring bell here. ROUND 1!
17. What was the most recent compliment you’ve received and savoured?
Someone close to me said ‘you’re a good kid’. I’m far from a kid anymore, but I got the sentiment. I’ve done right by my parents, never gave them grief, grew up and lived my life the right way and made them proud and happy. And for that, I’m exceptionally proud.
18. What is something about yourself that you hope will change, but probably never will?
My temper. Going from 0-100 and most importantly keeping it inside. I think I’ve calmed down on the explosions, but I think my nature is to get worked up. and it’s ok. It just means I’m passionate, lol.
19. Are you a creature of habit? Explain.
Totally. I savour it. It moves me. I love routine and structure and do not do well with change or uncertainty. I often ask myself what will my life be like once I have kids. I’ll probably be addicted to Xanax to get through the day.
20. Are you high maintenance? Explain.
In certain areas of my life, yes. When it comes to accommodation, outside my home, I’m very picky. I do not do low-budget accommodation. I’d rather pay more for cleanliness, convenience and amenities. I’m high maintenance when it comes to sneakers. I’m a fanatic who is very particular. I’m also very particular about my home and how it’s set up and do not like things out-of-place.
21. When was the last time you really pushed yourself to your physical limits?
About 2 weeks ago when I had a 2 hour workout session and legit almost died. It could explain me not being back at the gym since then.
22. Do you have a whole lot of acquaintances or just a few very close friends? Why?
Few close friends. I don’t like people getting too close. I like to keep a bit of a boundary around my personal life. It allows me to trust more and trust better, and to open myself up.
23. Are you more inclined to “build your own empire” or unleash the potential of others?
build my own empire. I have to ensure I eat, first.
24. What’s a strange occurrence you’ve experienced but have never (or rarely) shared with anyone?
Not one occurrence per say, but I always have just felt super blessed. Like I’ve always been kept from the brink of the worst, whether it be almost being in a bad accident, escaping a very bad situation, or passing some class or course when it didn’t seem like that would happen. And also just looking at my life and thinking I’ve lived such a charmed and ideal life. It hasn’t been a perfect life, but it’s been as ideal as I could ever ask for.
25. What do you think about more than anything else?
26. What’s something that amazes you?
The way God loves me. It may sound corny, but I am always so amazed and in awe and I wonder what I’ve done to deserve it, because I definitely don’t think i’ve done anywhere near enough.
27. Do you prefer that people shoot straight with you or temper their words? Why?
Straight, with sensitivity and empathy. I hate fake-ness and beating around the bush.
28. Where’s your favourite place to take an out-of-town guest?
29. What’s one thing you’d rather pay someone to do than do yourself? Why?
Clean my house, wash dishes, cook and do my laundry. Pure torture.
30. Do you have a catchphrase?
That’s it. or Look at God.
31. What’s your reaction towards people who are outspoken about their beliefs? What conditions cause you to dislike or, conversely, enjoy talking with them?
I think everyone is entitled to having their beliefs and expressing them, provided its done with respect and respect for other people’s views. Also with an ear for being open to learn and appreciate other peoples views.
32. How and where do you prefer to study?
at home, in bed, alone.
33. What position do you sleep in?
on my left side or on my stomach. If I’m struggling to fall asleep, laying on my stomach with my arms tucked under usually does the trick.
34. What’s your all-time favourite town or city? Why?
NEW YORK CITY. It’s literally the greatest place on earth. Can’t explain it. So many memories.
35. What are the top three qualities that draw you to someone new?
A friendly smile, kind words and someone willing to genuinely get to know me.
36. How has your birth order/characteristics of siblings affected you?
As the middle, I’ve kind of gotten away with a lot. Partially because my parents were so busy focused on the baby or the high expectations of the older sibling, but also because I stayed in my lane and didn’t rock the boat. It did leave me seeking attention in my adolescent years by acting out in school a bit. But I realized very quickly that, that was not the way to do and that it wasn’t going to get me anywhere in the long run. It also caused me to have a bit of a ‘i am what i am whether you like it or not’ attitude or approach to life too. I was given that leeway to be me and to this day its how I live my life. I hope people like me and enjoy me but if they don’t its ok. Not everyone is every one else’s cup of tea. And that’s ok. Bottom line is ‘do I like me? Does God love me?’ And the answer to that is yes.
37. If you could eliminate one weakness or limitation in your life, what would it be?
I’m moody. I’m very provoked by my mood. And although I may not take it out on everyone, it does manifest itself that way sometimes. Also sometimes I like to keep to myself too much sometimes. I can be exceptionally anti-social.
38. If you could restore one broken relationship, which would it be?
None. Everything happens for a reason. And any relationships that have ended, ended because God saw it fit. And I can honestly say my life has not skipped a beat. I have all the pertinent, beneficial and significant relationships I need in my life.
39. If you had to change your first name, what would you change it to?
Not change, but I wish I used my middle name, Nhlanhla, as my first or primary name. But i genuinely love all my names and I’m honored to have them.
40. Do you believe ignorance is bliss? Why or why not?
Growing up, I did. What you don’t know won’t hurt, right? As I’ve gotten older, i’ve realized that complete opposite. Knowledge is power. We cannot live in the dark acting as if things don’t exist. Because they will still exist and rear their ugly heads and sometimes if you’ve ignored it for too long, it’s too late. Especially when it comes to health. Knowledge helps you make the right decisions fast. My parents taught me that lesson.
41. What do you consider unforgivable?
42. Have you forgiven yourself for past personal failures? Why or why not?
Yes. I am harder on myself than anyone. And not to sound like im perfect, but I don’t consider anything I’ve done a failure. I’ve made some bad decisions, but I do believe everything happens for a reason. And you have to learn from them. There is no point in dwelling and beating yourself up because you cannot step into a time machine and change them. I’d rather not waste the time and energy on those feelings.
43. How difficult is it for you to forgive someone who refuses to apologize?
Exceptionally difficult. Especially depending on the degree of hurt. Sometimes those two words of ‘i’m sorry’ or ‘I apologize’, if said sincerely, can erase a lifetime of hurt and pain. What hurts or irritates me more is someone committing a hurt than just over time acting as if it never happened and trying to go on business as usual. That is a giant insult to me. I see you…
44.Do you hold any convictions that you would be willing to die for?
That God sacrificed His only Son for my sins, so that I may live. And rose again to save the world. I believe that with every inch of my mind,body and soul.
45. To what extent do you trust people? Explain.
I don’t. I trust very few and those I trust, i trust with my life. At the end of the day my immediate family i trust with my life. and very few others. They’ve always just proven to me that I can trust on them, without fail or question. Acquaintances come and go for a reason. I also think most people are out to gain something or benefit in some way. To take away, and not to give.
46. In what area of your life are you immature?
Being led by my emotions. If im not happy, it will most likely manifest itself. I need to learn to not wear my heart on my sleeve.
47. What was the best news you ever received?
Every time my dad goes for a post cancer check-up or either of my parents go for medical check-ups and they get the all clear.
48. How difficult is it for you to be honest, even when your words may be hurtful or unpopular?
Not hard at all. I feel it’s about delivery, but the truth is always important. And it would hurt me more to lie to someone I care about
49. When did you immediately click with someone you just met? Why? What was the long-term result? Conversely, are you close with anyone now that you really disliked at first?
A colleague of mine who has been a dear friend to me ever since. It’s been 6 years now. Also, there’s a very close friend of mine that I met about 7 years ago through our significant others and we just hit it off, instantly, which is very rare for me. She is still a close friend and was one of my bridesmaids. Not close with anyone I disliked.
50. When do you find yourself singing?
In the car or when I’m home alone, cooking or cleaning or working on a DIY project. Those are my favorite times to sing.